Spicy Stewed Sausages with Peppers
*This post originally appeared long ago on my WordPress blog, and I happened to run across the yummy sausage pictures the other day and can't get the craving out of my mind. This is a fantastically easy recipe that packs a major flavor punch.
This recipe, my first attempt at a Paleo lifestyle, is not labeled as such. I like that because it makes me feel I'm just eating a super yummy meal I found on Food & Wine's website, featuring a hearty Italian dish contributed by Mario Batali. This dish comes together quickly after you get all the veg chopped up. It's hard to imagine a dish of sausages and sweet peppers being boring, but Mario bumps up the flavor factor another notch by stewing everything in a bit of red wine. He recommends the dish be served with crusty bread but it would also be great with pasta. It would also be fantastico on a roll of Italian bread - Sausage and Pepper Hoagie!
Sans bread and/or noodles, this dish was extremely satisfying. Be careful with the serrano and habeñero chilies - they are fiery. I love spicy dishes but if it sounds like too much heat, bump the quantity down on the serranos (or substitute with cooler jalapeños) and omit the habeñero (whimp).
I prepared this dish outside on my grill as the recipe recommended.
Spiced Stewed Sausages
From www.foodandwine.com, contributed by Mario Batali
- 2 pounds sweet Italian sausage, pricked all over with a fork
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch dice
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb—trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 serrano chiles, seeded and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 habanero chile, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese (3 ounces)
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Light a grill. Brush the sausages lightly with oil and grill over a medium-hot fire, turning, until nicely charred and just cooked through, about 16 minutes total.
- Set a large cast-iron skillet on the grill and add the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the peppers, onion, fennel and chiles and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 15 minutes. Season with salt. Add the sausages and wine to the skillet and simmer until the wine has reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Remove from the grill and sprinkle half of the pecorino cheese over the sausage and peppers. Serve with bread, passing the remaining pecorino at the table.